What NOT to Feed Your Dogs & Cats

By November 2, 2015 February 11th, 2019 Uncategorized

For pet owners, sometimes it is hard to resist innocent eyes when pets are looking up at them while at the table or in the kitchen. So they give them a little treat of whatever it is they are cooking or eating. Sometimes the food we feed won’t cause any harm to our furry companions, while other times it can be harmful to their health.
What NOT to Feed Your Dogs & Cats

Even if we aren’t sneaking treats for our dogs and cats food from the table it’s still crucial to keep toxic items somewhere safe where they can’t be reached by the little noses and paws. Your friendly staff at animal hospital Burlington gives a list of food items that are bad for your canines and felines.


Chocolate in every form, no matter cookie or candy bar can be toxic for our furry companions. It contains an ingredient called methylxanthine which can cause problems. The severity of symptoms can vary depending on various factors, such as the type of chocolate, the amount consumed, and the size and age of the pet. The types of chocolate that are harmful for animals, include:

  • Milk chocolate
  • White chocolate
  • Dark chocolate
  • Semisweet chocolate
  • Instant cocoa mix powder

Dark chocolates have greater amounts of methylxanthine, and thus can cause more severe problems. The amount of chocolate consumed can also influence the pet’s reaction. Smaller amounts may lead to vomiting and diarrhea, however, greater amounts can cause tremors and seizures. Unfortunately, if the degree of the toxicity is severe, the animal can lose its life. So come Valentine’s Day or Christmas, make sure that your furry ones are eating only pet-friendly treats.

Grapes and Raisins

A huge bowl of grapes on a hot summer day is a bliss. This snack is sweet and juicy. Unfortunately, many people still do not know what it is in grapes and raisins that makes them ideal for only humans, not pets. Unlike with chocolate, generalizing the quantities that will cause problems is hard. A large-sized dog can consume just one grape and suffer from a kidney failure, while a small dog can consume an entire bowl and not show any visible symptoms. The bottom line is, it is better not to find out whether or not your pet will react to grapes and raisins.

The symptoms you might notice include:

  • Vomiting
  • Lethargy
  • Anorexia
  • Diarrhea

So what we hope you take away from this article is human food should be meant for humans only. Store food in hard to reach places, away from our furry house mates.

The pet stores are full of food items that won’t hurt your canines and felines and that they will enjoy eating them just as much! If you have any questions or concerns about certain food items, please feel free to contact the trained and friendly staff at our animal hospital Burlington.

Leave a Reply